1. get familiar with the writing process (prewriting planning, drafting, and revising).
2. learn the components of a sound paragraph (a topic sentence with supporting ideas).
3. learn to organize ideas logically.
4. learn to write accurately and fluently.
5. practice writing narrative, descriptive, and expository paragraphs.
Composition 1 is a first-year required course. This course introduces students to the writing process and to the conventions of written English, teaches students to write grammatically accurate sentences, well-formed paragraphs with clear topic sentences and supporting details, and coherent short essays. Written assignments include journals, paragraphs, and short essays in one or more drafts. This course is taught in tandem with Oral Training 1.
Smalley, Regina L, Mary K. Ruetten, and Joann Rishel Kozyrev. Refining Composition Skills. 6th ed. Boston: National Geographic Learning, 2012. (Avoid illegal photocopying of copyrighted materials.)
|評分項目 Grading Method||配分比例 Grading percentage||說明 Description|
| Attendance and participation Attendance and participation
|Midterm examMidterm exam
| Final exam Final exam
|Writing assignments Writing assignments